Wednesday, September 30, 2009

I *heart* Scotland

I've loved all things Scottish for as long as I can remember. I could listen to their accents all day and never tire of it. Some of my favorite books and movies are based on Scotland. The music is no exception. I'm a big fan of Belle & Sebastian, Silly Wizard, The Whistlebinkies, Camera Obscura, The Proclaimers, and on and on and on.....
John and I went to ATL Sunday night to see a band that I'm slightly obsessed with. OK, maybe slightly is a bit of an understatement. They're called We Were Promised Jetpacks, out of Glasgow, Scotland. Not only is this the greatest name for a band EVER, but the music is addictive too. I highly recommend a listen if you like rock music. They opened for two other bands from Scotland (The Twilight Sad & Frightened Rabbit) who were great as well. But I really went to see WWPJ. They rocked The Masquerade for sure. Afterwards, they were nice enough to hang out with fans. I got my LP signed and took a picture with the band. Very cool guys.
(from the left) Sean Smith-bass, Darren Lackie-drums, John, me, Adam Thompson-vocals/guitar, and Micheal Palmer-guitar.
Of course, I had to let them know that most of their album was on my playlist for writing. So now I have to figure out a way to write in Micheal (guitar) into the novel. haha. He requested to be the killer which might be weird since my character's last name is Jackson.
Anyway, with the assistance of a $70 beer tab (between John and myself), I had a pretty bad hangover the next day. I'm quickly realizing that I can't hang with the youngsters anymore. At least I can't recover as fast as they do. Which is why this blog is just being posted (3 days later).
So go out and get their album "These Four Walls." It rocks. If you can't find it in a store, you can download it from Amazon or from their label's website (FatCat Records).

P.S. (I'm adding this in a week later) If possible, I'm even more obsessed with this band and their debut album. I listen to it all the way through at least 3-4 times a day. And to quote the band, "I'm not even kidding!" I listen to it while trying wake up and cook breakfast for the kids ('Keeping Warm' specifically), and most of the whole album at work with the volume low so I can hear my patient's alarms, lol. I'm sure my coworkers are very annoyed with me for constantly humming the tunes and sometimes singing the songs out loud along with my iPod.
And just so you all know the lengths to which I'll go to see this band .... we had John's parents drive 2 hours to our house to keep the kids for us, and then we drove 3 1/2 hours to Atlanta for the concert. Not to mention, I swapped my regular sunday night shift for a weekday shift to have the night off. Being the opposite of a morning person, this was a big deal.
I'm very hopeful that they'll be playing a show when I'm in Scotland next May. That would be a great 30th birthday present for me :)







No comments: